Saturday, March 30, 2013

Saturday Snippet

Saturday is one of my slowest days for blog traffic, so if I post something, you're all less likely to read. Which makes it perfect for sharing things like snippets of writing that have no story. I wrote this on my phone one night before bed. I have no idea who they are or what happened the night before, but I like it. Enjoy :)


She rolled the cuffs up once, twice, three times. The sleeves still came nearly to her wrists. She'd never seen him wear a button down, much less the crisp white cotton she was now wearing.

"You're up." Sleep roughened his voice, matching the scruff on his face.

"I took a shower. I hope that's okay."

A slow smile pulled up on corner of his mouth as his eyes raked over her.

Her fingers went to her damp hair, teasing it back into place.

"The shirt looks better on you than it does on me."

"I'm sorry. I didn't know what else to do and after..." The memory of the previous night still came back too sharp to verbalize.

"No, it's fine." He moved into the kitchen, wearing just a pair of plaid pajama pants. The angle of the early sunlight deepened the shadows surrounding the muscles carved into his chest and stomach.

"You didn't get those working out, did you?" She accepted the cup of coffee he offered, wrapping both her hands around the mug and taking a sip.

"Define working out."

She tilted her head to one side, watching him move through his day, preparing his breakfast and gathering his morning news.

"You're not vain."

He laughed and her heart damn near exploded. He looked like a different man. The way the corners of his eyes crinkled along familiar lines told her he used to laugh, but she'd never heard such a sound before.

She vowed to hear it again.

"I train hard," he said. "What about you?" He leaned against the counter, crossing one foot over the other. "I can't imagine you in yogalates or some spinning class surrounded by middle aged women in spandex."

She set down her coffee and moved into a fluid defensive position. "Jujitsu. Since I was twelve."

"So I didn't need to step in last night?"

A chill skittered across her shoulders. "I didn't say I was any good. Besides, I'm not sure jujitsu works against something like that."

"Is your camera okay?"

"About that..."

2 comments:

  1. I like it! I'm definitely intrigued about what happened the night before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me wonder what kind of situation Jujitsu would be necessary for. Very cool snippet.

    ReplyDelete